The cold weather is starting to come and it is time to get prepared for the cold and flu season. Our flu vaccinations have arrived, and we have created some clinics in preparation. You can book now through HotDoc or call reception on 6571 1886. Please note you have to meet the criteria to be able to have a government flu vaccination. The criteria is as follows:
The criteria is as follows:
- people aged 65 years and over
- all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 6 months and over
- all children aged 6 months to less than 5 years of age
- all individuals aged 5 years and over with medical risk conditions, namely:
- cardiac disease, including cyanotic congenital heart disease, coronary artery disease and congestive heart failure
- chronic respiratory conditions, including suppurative lung disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), severe asthma (for which frequent medical consultations or the use of multiple medications is required), cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis and chronic emphysema.
- chronic neurological conditions, including hereditary and degenerative central nervous system (CNS) diseases (including multiple sclerosis), neuromuscular disorders, spinal cord injuries and seizure disorders
- immunocompromising conditions, including immunocompromised due to disease or treatment (e.g. malignancy, transplantation and/or chronic steroid use), asplenia or splenic dysfunction and HIV infection
- diabetes and other metabolic disorders, including Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes and chronic metabolic disorders
- chronic renal failure
- children aged 6 months to 10 years on long term aspirin therapy
- pregnant women (influenza vaccine can be given at any stage of pregnancy)
If you do not meet the criteria, you can have a private flu vaccination which has a cost of $20 which is payable on the day of the appointment.